Do you have a case of the Sunday Night Blues? This acute condition is what many 9-5 workers
deal with on a weekly basis. It’s that dreaded
feeling of the work week approaching that leaves you wondering how you are
going to navigate through the week and if the stress is really worth it. I can relate and have been there in the
past. There were times that I would
start thinking about the upcoming work week as early as Saturday making me irritable
and no fun to be around. Eventually I
knew something needed to change so I could focus on being a better husband, father,
and friend. As a result I came up with a
system that worked for me that I want to share with you.
Here are 3 tips to
kick your case of the Sunday Night Blues:
1.)
Monitor
your case of the Blues:
2.)
Block off
time each Sunday to plan your week.
This
one is critical. Block off 30 minutes
each Sunday to map out your week. Open
your work calendar and make note of the significant events you will be facing
both work and non-work related. Use a
note pad or cell phone app such as Microsoft One Note to take notes and create
a checklist of critical items you’ll need to complete throughout the week. There is no better way to suppress upcoming
work anxiety than to be prepared for your challenges.
3.)
Avoid
working on Sunday and live it up for all the day is worth.
Sunday is a weekend day after all so treat it
like one! Don’t let Monday creep in
early. Plan a fun event with your family
and friends. Go somewhere, do
something. Before having kids, my Wife
and I had a Sunday tradition of a late-afternoon campfire followed by watching
Mad Men. During this time we rarely
thought or talked about work. Nobody was
going to steal that time from us and we looked forward to it every week.
Does your case of the Sunday Night Blues mean you need a job
change? Maybe not. It might just be a matter of managing your
case of the Blues. I’d love to hear your
input. What other tips and tricks have
you tried to help you kick the Sunday Night Blues?
Aaron Rehberg is a career coach and owner of Rehberg Careers
Inc. Follow Aaron on twitter @rehbergcareers and on
Facebook at www.facebook.com/rehbergcareers.
No comments:
Post a Comment