“Can you text that to me?” The Lost Art of Talking on the Phone
This post is not intended to be a philosophical
“groundbreaker,” rather more of a rant about a trend I notice in society
today. The days of paying a $.10 charge per
text message to cell phone carriers are long behind us. Nowadays texting is unlimited and instant
message services like Facebook and Twitter are at our disposal 24/7. This makes it more convenient for people to
communicate via text versus talk on the phone.
Driving directions, addresses, phone numbers, you name it… Instead of
engaging in vocal conversations that require us to use our brain we simply ask,
“Can you text that to me?”
When we are forced to talk on the phone, it is obvious our
skills are lacking. From language
barriers and intelligence gaps to absurd rates of speech and external
distractions, there are dozens of reasons why it is hard to have a clear phone
conversation with someone you don’t know.
Just the other week I asked a lady for someone’s email address over the
phone and she read it back to me faster than Usain Bolt runs the 100! After recording one letter I had to ask her to
slow down and repeat for me. This causes
me to ask a few questions: How do
poor communicators end up in customer-facing jobs? Who gives them feedback so they can
improve? Is there any training out
there to help improve poor phone etiquette? If society continues to embrace a “text over
talk” mentality, the youth of tomorrow may not have any verbal phone
communication skills.
I have worked on several projects as a consultant in the
past few months where it has been essential to not only talk on the phone but
also take accurate notes for future reference.
As a consultant I am rarely in a position to ask a client or employee at
another business to text me information because that could portray laziness and
unprofessionalism. I take special care
when writing down email addresses and numbers because return calls due to
inaccuracy cost time and money. The fact
is unless I’m talking to my Wife I don’t usually say, “Can you text that to me?” Sorry Honey.
My point is there are situations where you cannot simply default to
requesting a spoon-fed text message.
We do almost everything possible nowadays to prevent
speaking on the phone. We would rather
Google someone or search several websites before picking up the phone to ask a
real person a question. We would rather
open Google Maps to find out where we are going than ask the local standing
right in front of us. Ask anyone age 30
or younger-One of the things they hate the most in business and in their
personal lives is listening to voicemail.
Why the heck did that lady have to leave me a 3 minute message when she
could have just texted me, “Your teeth cleaning appointment is next Tuesday at
9am.”

No comments:
Post a Comment