Sign up here to get weekly career advice, business perspective, and leadership tips from Aaron, founder of Rehberg Careers Inc.
Friday, March 28, 2014
Add 30 Minutes to Your Day
The term "busy" is a relative term. Everyone today tells you they are extremely busy but what does it really mean? In my experience when someone considers themselves "busy" it is relative to their own personal experience and is simply a benchmark of what they are used to experiencing. I hear college students, entry-level managers, and mothers of seven kids all tell me they are busy. Who is really busy and who is just complaining? The answer is they are all busy in their own frame of mind. The goal of my post today isn't to judge individual opinions but rather to identify 30 minutes in everyone's day that is potentially being flushed down the proverbial toilet. My Wife works for a company that once used the slogan, "We want your shower time." I used to think that was ridiculous and almost selfish but nowadays I take that advice and apply it daily. I am married with two kids and am the general manager of a Target store; all which requires a significant time commitment. In order to find time for my creative outlet (Career Coaching) I take full advantage of the day's down times and apply them to my business. Showering, getting ready, and working out are three activities where I dedicate my thoughts to career coaching. My advice to you is to do the same. Use the little moments in your day where you typically zone out to focus on your career search, on your job, or on building your personal brand. Make sure to have a method of tracking your thoughts or the time is for not. There are great apps on your phone such as Pocket or their is the handy old pen and paper. Apply this advice daily and you'll add over 3 hours of productive time to your week and over 180 hours to your year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment