Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Introduction to Aaron Rehberg's Blog

Welcome to the Aaron Rehberg's Blog!  This blog is dedicated mainly to career self-help for 20-something's and recent college graduates.  The Millennial generation in the US is more educated than any before its time, yet a combination of elements has this younger generation finishing college only to end up moving back in with their parents.  Stripped from a free life of unlimited socializing and partying, these recent grads are slapped in the face with the next chapter of their lives which includes parental supervision, chores, and often times residing in a town much more boring than Campus Town, USA.  

Why is this happening?  Well, there are several elements at play here.  The most obvious of these is a challenging job landscape.  A Money.com article reported that in June 2013, the mal-employment rate among recent college graduates was 36.7%!  money.com Mal-Employment article.  Mal-employment is defined as someone with a college degree doing a job that doesn't require one.  This has a huge toll on a recent grad's financial well-being as a Mal-employed grad can earn up to 40% less than their peers. This obviously makes paying off student loans, buying that new car, and paying rent nearrly impossible.  To survive, we are seeing students migrate back home.  Their new living abode is something I like to call, The "Grad Cave."

Occasionally I may post on other career-related topics or personal stories or lessons learned.  I hope you enjoy and I welcome your responses and unique opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment